Project to test email setup & connectivity. Includes modules for sending email (SSL Support), ping, port scan, & dns lookup (A, CNAME, & MX records).
The building of this software came about due to a problem we had at work, and the need for a decent email package to test our email servers. I continue to work on the project simply because I thoroughly enjoy network programming, and wish to gain a better
understanding of not only socket programming, but the underlying protocols as well.
The current release is in Beta and includes the following features:
- Email (of course) with username/password & SSL support
- Port scanning (only 1 server/port per scan)
- Ping with normal 4 ping w/ statistics and -t infinite style ping ability
- DNS look up in DIG fashion supporting A, MX, & CNAME queries
- Saving/editing/clearing of log data
- Ability to save defaults including server, port, to, from, etc...
These are but a few features I would like to see added:
- Add menu & about screen
- I have a couple other ideas including:
- Implementing ping sweep functionality
- Implementing full port scanning capabilities
If you have anything that perhaps you would like to see, or add yourself, let me know and I'll add you to the project.
I also want to note the use of the DNS.NET Resolver library put together by Alphons van der Heijden, which can be found here:
This is a wonderful library and is used for the DNS look up portion of the code. It requires no additional setup of WinPCap or any other 3rd party libraries - it simply uses good ole fashion sockets.